Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Saas bhi kabhi bahu thi...

Yesterday was a south-indian reply to karva-chauth festival and my first one at that. My MIL made it a mandate for me to get home from the office which is 15 kms away by 1:30. That is apparently "the" time when one month ends and the new one begins. And if I tie a yellow thread at that very moment and pray for my husband's long life and blah, I'll gain salvation. (Holy crap..! In retrospect thats quite a cool way to be sure to get a ticket to heaven!).:-)

Just when I have finished reading the morning newspaper, she breaks the news to me about the other terms and conditions about the festival which weren't as 'easy' as travelling back and forth 30 kms and spending 200 bucks for a yellow thread. I was supposed to be on a fast too. Now how unfair on someone who is supposedly known to be 'underweight' and on regular days fed up to the brim with a perpetual complaint that she doesn't eat enough. I was totally devastated on the prospect of starving. Well.. you know, I may not exactly look like the "khate-peete-ghar-ki-ladki" types but then I hate to stay hungry. And I admit I do get into one of those eccentric moods then, ready to lash out on anything that comes my way - living or non-living. As though reading my mind (says who that MIL and DIL do not share a telepathic connection), my MIL promptly called one of her friends and had a hurried whispered conversation. At the end of it, she reached a consensus that I can have roti and sabji. I jumped at the idea and got into the kitchen before she changed her mind..:-)


Since I had gastronomical interests to take care of, I decided to get to my workplace after witnessing the 'divine' intervention of the new month. I quickly got a couple of potatoes to boil and made a quick aloo-methi ki sabji and kneaded the dough for roti. When something as auspicious as this was to happen, how could I be walking around the place in a sleeveless salwar kameez? I was promptly asked to change into a 9 yards saree. Yikes!! After much-required help from my MIL, I managed to drape myself into one and did some parrot-like activities, repeated whatever she asked me to say/do in front of the so-many-idols-of-dieties which occupy nearly 1/3rd of the kitchen (Talk about space constraints in Mumbai!!)...Soon after, I was asked to tie the yellow thread around my neck and pray for the longevity of my husband's life. I was also permitted to eat some prasad made for the occasion (Thank God for small mercies)..:-)
I quickly made a beeline to change into my salwar-kameez again, had the aloo-methi and roti which for some reason tasted the yummiest. And made sure I got to work by 3pm.

Every now and then, my thoughts drifted towards food. Having scandalizing thoughts like how does my starving make any difference to my husband's life? Or for that matter me attaining salvation? Why is it that the wife bears hardships like suffer pangs of hunger while the husband eats what he likes? Why is there there no such tribute that a husband does for a wife? why why why... ? I could go on forever on this one but will save it for another time and another day. Anyways, I got home at 11 PM and was more than glad to see food laid out for me on the table. So what if it is still the same aloo-methi and roti which no one ate? It still tasted the best. Talking of no one eating it, I realised my MIL has been on fast too and she hasnt eaten half as much as me. I felt an instant sense of sympathy for her though I dont think she minds going on hunger trips every now and then on pretext of one pooja or other. But at the end of the day, I know she cares and I care too. After all Saas bhi kabhi bahu thi....!

12 Comments:

At 15 March, 2005, Blogger Avi said...

The serial's been getting to you... stop watching it!!! :p

 
At 15 March, 2005, Blogger The First Step said...

Enjoyed reading every bit of it... :)

 
At 15 March, 2005, Blogger Highwayman said...

First time here...
Enjoyed reading this Sas Bahu incident of yours....even I hate the whole idea of fasting...

anyways...will the read the other one too later.
Till then keep them coming..and don forget to check out mine..@
http://thirdrockfromthesun.blogspot.com

Cheers..

 
At 15 March, 2005, Blogger Chatter Box said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 15 March, 2005, Blogger Chatter Box said...

Respect!Applause!Pity to all the bahus who have become saas'es and the saas'es who were ever bahus!

Fasting is a nice way of saving the country of some grains and contributing to conservation in the larger sense..
If husbands wud ever want to deplete themselves of their reserves to be able to live with delpleting reserves(read wife ripping them off their money).....am not so sure..
Women the kindred souls however, succumb and pray the gods bless their better halves so that they have someone to fight with for the rest of their lives!!

Well long live the married, fasting, and loving couples!!

 
At 15 March, 2005, Blogger RT said...

[avi] Well.. Serial is far from reality my dear. I guess I should sell my ideas to Dr Ekta Kapoor to increase her TRP ratings.:-)

[the first step] Thanks step. But all of it was meant in jest.

[highwayman] I firmly believe that when people say they are on fast, it should essentially mean they eat too fast. (bad joke I know! :-)). Thanks for your comments.

[pensive] Its sometimes good to also sympathize with bahus who have recently become bahus too.

 
At 19 March, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He he he .. Ab maja aa raha hai
:-) But u know I also keep wondering how will my fasting ensure Ashish's long life ;-) Weird !!

 
At 22 March, 2005, Blogger Avi said...

The funda is pretty simple you know:
What you dont eat that day, patidev will eat.
Extra khana ==> extra nutrition
Extra nutrition ==> Longer life

Therefore patni Fasting ==> longer life for patidev!

 
At 23 March, 2005, Blogger RT said...

avi - very logical answer. Only that with my 'patidev', I dont really need to fast.. He will not eat either ways..:-)

 
At 23 March, 2005, Blogger Avi said...

Yeah,

That answer was for Sims' query. It is not at all applicable to you!! :)

 
At 25 March, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This article of yours has the max numbers of comments ..no wonder Kketkta Aunty's serials are so popular ;-)

 
At 28 March, 2005, Blogger RT said...

~sims- Of course the serials are immensely popular.. and ppl like me are instrumental in raising the TRP ratings.. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home