Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Saturday night in Corporate 'light'

I had the most enlightening Saturday evening in enchanting company to start with and a depressing movie to end with. Some friends of S (my husband) decided to meet up for dinner and a movie. Since I am a newly wed and all, I was expecting myself to be the center of attraction. I guess I would let you decide that over the course of the day and its happenings.

All these friends were the IIM graduate types. I have heard a great deal about MBA communique and admittedly, I got quite a solid dose of it. It started off with a brief round of introduction. Soon after, the discussion veered towards more 'exciting' topics like VAT and its consequences. Almost seemed like I was moderating a group discussion. Well.. I am quite aware about VAT and stuff but its certainly not something I would be found discussing passionately about and that too when I am meeting some friends after maybe 3-4 years. Soon, my existence dissolved in the animated quotes from Liar's Poker and jokes of the 'corporate' world.
*Get a life, dudes!*


After some 20 mins of fervent exchange of cerebral thoughts, one of them finally realized I was around and not quite contributing to their conversation. I was asked some routine questions about where I work and how far my office was, why I was still with the same X company for 4 years. And some reminisced how none bothered attending X company's pre-placement talks during their campus placements.
*Now, how considerate!*


The discussion shifted to who from the class of 2000 is doing what and where. I did not know ABC from XYZ in the names and companies being mentioned. But was kinda hoping some juicy college gossips and some hidden skeletons of S will be out.. ;-)
But their idea of gossip was how one guy messed up his case study and how S's aquarium always had fishes with low mortality rate. Ok now that's news (haven't heard too many people owning an aquarium in a hostel) but certainly not a hidden skeleton. Soon the discussion got too cryptic for my apprehending abilities with liberal use of terminologies like strategy, marketing, acquisition, merger, equity and the likes. After what seemed like a lifetime, someone hit upon the idea of getting out of the house and watching a movie.
*Bless her*


Hit Lokhandwala and dined at a poshish restaurant. Its definitely good to be in company of the rich and famous on some occasions as this. Realised I was quite famished despite all the 'food for thought'. :-)
The jargon diarrhea continued undeterred throughout dinner. And at the end of it all, one of them remembers my presence again and tells me that they are very well behaved today because they are meeting me for the first time.
*!!*


Watched Million Dollar Baby. I thought the movie was very depressing and over-hyped (I don't know if it was the movie or the day or the drink). But, great performances by all. All in all, an enlightening evening in the company of the distinguished and the brightest, a nice dinner (but not enough to sustain my hunger pangs again at 2:30 am) and an Oscar winning movie. Feel like an elite pseud now..:-)

1 Comments:

At 05 April, 2005, Blogger RT said...

gram: Ah..! The publicity seems to be working..;-)

I can add you into this blog. Not a problem. But why not resurrect psentimental?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home