Thursday, May 05, 2005

Saddi Dilli

I dont even think I wanna compare the checklist in this post with what I finally did in Delhi. But nonetheless I had a blast.

It started on a slightly bad note that the ever-hospitable Rajdhani Express, as I was saying
here, reduced my stay in Delhi by 1.5 hours. I reached Friday afternoon and had A waiting for me at the ever-so-quaint Nizamuddin Station. After all those screams, squeals, hugs, preliminary catching up and mutual compliments on hair, weight and the ilk we got back to her apartment. Was pleasantly surprised to see a lot had changed between the short 3 km stretch from Nizamuddin to Lajpat Nagar - 2 new flyovers, empty roads and pollution-free breathing space.

Did some shopping at CP, Janpath and Lajpat nagar and ended up buying loads of junk jewellry, footwear and my elusive Chikan White Salwar that I was hunting for almost an era. I lazed around, I chatted up, I sacked out and I also cycled for 4 hours into the wilds of Bharatpur to seek 40+ species of birds along with my expert husband and friends. I saw the beautiful Fatehpur Sikri, the mystical Taj Mahal, I met up some of my old friends, I enjoyed the lovely weather with some moments of rain, I did pass through my old place but did not stop by. I was pleasantly surprised with the fact that though so much had changed, my memories were so vivid.There were so many things I wanted to do but this is all I could manage in my 2.75 days of stay.

Getting back to Bombay was another adventure. I was booked on Rajdhani (again!!) which I was dreading after the prior experience. My ticket was waitlisted and I reached station well before time to finally discover that my ticket was actually for the previous day's rajdhani. Much as I was happy that I was saved of all the 'hospitality', I was worried about my return back. I did some 'jugaadu' activities and managed to get some 50% of the fare back after making some convincing noises and explanations to the railway personnel. Also managed to get a flight ticket the same evening and landed back in Mumbai a tired but happy woman.

The trip was memorable, the stay was perfect, the weather was lovely and dal makhani by A was excellent (its a different thing her love for me was so overwhelming that she made it equivalent for 10 people when the said request was just for me) and the Taj was beautiful..:-)

2 Comments:

At 13 May, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, disappointed not to find a mention of the gentleman at murthal who was our host for the evening and made sure that we eat dum-aloo galti se ;-) woud've made one hullva read, cud give the tam guy a run for his money in terms of entertainment :-)

 
At 14 May, 2005, Blogger RT said...

~anonymous: haha.. I guess you'd be the best person to describe that dude as compared to me..:)
He was quite an item.. And you were the best to enact him through the trip..:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home