Monday, August 01, 2005

What next?

"Rain rain go away
Come again another day
Little Johnny wants to play
Rain rain go to Spain!"


But alas...! Rain wanted to come today, yesterday, the day before yesterday and, in all probability, wants to be here for what seems forever... :-(

Whew..! Been a crazy week. Started with a 9-10 km trek last Tuesday wading through knee deep water to accomplish the journey from workplace to home. And a 4 hour ordeal to complete it. Bearing through bad traffic jams, torrential downpour and floods with strong undercurrent.

Though it was raining badly the whole day, I did not anticipate anything different from the regular standstill that Mumbai goes through every monsoons, when local trains stop in the middle of the tracks, when people are stranded in the middle of nowhere, when schools and colleges shut down, when rains continue relentlessly for a day or two throwing life out of gear. Small time floods do happen during those days but in select low-lying areas of the city. It did not occur to me even when S called at about 4PM asking me to leave for home ASAP and that he was already on his way home since the 'situation was not too good'. It did not occur to me even when I saw some of my colleagues leaving work as early as 4-5 in the evening. Of course, it was with a reason that I was neck deep (not in water) into some important work with stringent deadlines and had to finish as much of it before calling it a day.

But going with the inertia, I left work at 8. And little did I know then that I would get home only well past midnight. I had no choice but to start walking towards home and hope the traffic jam cleared up as I walked ahead a bit. After a 4 km trek, the road did clear up and that was because there was water enough to drown the cars and auto rickshaws. Water was almost until my waist and pitch darkness and gutters/manholes made it even scarier to cruise past the distance. I kept to the beaten track at most places except one section of the route where water was deep and there was no soul ready to wade through. I was greeted by downpour getting heavier by the minute and what seemed like dead rats floating in the current. Ewww..!!! Decided to take the route nonetheless and stayed in the middle of the road which was actually a national highway. Thankfully some people took to the same route seeing me brave through alone. Then I was not as scared. Was actually a little pleased with myself for setting an example of sorts... :-)

Anyway, trying hard to ignore the floating objects which got entangled with my legs making me jump with fright and trying to steady myself through the strong water currents, I managed to get home at about 1AM. Was never more pleased and relieved in life to see the gate of the apartment building.

Life has been unsettled ever since with continued spell of showers of canine and feline magnitude. With no telephone - landline and other varieties, transportation, electricity (for a brief while thankfully!) and loads of work through weekend, I wait wistfully for sun to peep out of the clouds for a few minutes.

People say I went to Andaman and caused Tsunami, went to Gujarat last month and floods followed and now Mumbai. "What next??" they ask... :-)

7 Comments:

At 01 August, 2005, Blogger Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

i din know u r from B'bay,u seem to b one brave woman, wading the waters ,reaching home by 1.

hope things r resuming back to normalcy soon.

 
At 01 August, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He he he RT the problem creator ;-)
But I can very well guess your "halat" after seeing dead rats ;-) Havent forgotten the Kailash Nights :-)

 
At 02 August, 2005, Blogger Pink said...

I really feel for you guys... take care. I must sign up for swimming lessons now...it's a skill you never know when you might need huh?!!

 
At 02 August, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for someone who's scared of even a fly, wading thru kneedeep water with what cud've-been rats is very couragoues indeed :-) but then I guess that's what b'bay is all about. After coming here, i am realizing that b'bay is gonna help me get rid of lot of my fears...staying alone being one of them!

 
At 02 August, 2005, Blogger Avi said...

Like someone mailed me sometime back...
A pujari in Dombivli is waiting for the rains to subside...
so that he can perform a havan for rains to stop! :D

 
At 03 August, 2005, Blogger RT said...

~swathi: Actually nothing brave about it. It was more out of desperation. Reminded me of Forrest Gump when he kept running for months. I just kept walking..:-)
But its crazy, when I hear other gruesome stories. They really make my story look much trivial. :(

~sims: Its not funny ok..! :p
Dead rats floating! I was shivering with fright. Many even saw dead human bodies floating. Now thats worse..:(

~lavi: Yeah..! very much. But with the kind of water currents that day, it was very easy to get carried away, swimming or otherwise. I wish it rained half as much though in Chennai..:-)

~anonymous: You bet..!! You are my friend anon!! :-)
But yeah. B'bay does teach you to survive and at the same time lets you be. Hope your days of woe end soon and you find a nice apartment for yourself. Amen.

~avi: Uff! These godmen..!! And lets pray to the rain-god to help the pujari perform his 'havan'. :-)

 
At 04 August, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RT ,
I think in national interest you should have a stay in Pakistan for a while ..... half of our country's problems will be solved ...what say ???? ( just kiddin )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home