Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Madame M

M came visiting me this weekend. Her first trip to see me after my wedding. And was I excited to see her!
It’s so funny sometimes that you meet friends after a considerable period of time and you are at a loss of any meaningful conversation. It kind of takes a while to get into the comfort zone, when you are back to being yourself in front of them. But this was not the case with M. Her chatty and warm demeanor instantly can put anyone at ease. And meeting her after 7 months (Yikes..! Seven months have passed!!!) did not seem like an eon. We hit it off from where we left.

It was funny to see her sport a ponytail now though. I mean I remember the first time when I met her at the company-training program 4 years ago. Her half brown and half carrot-red colored mushroom-cut-type hair and her white-faded-with-age gray shirt and dull-colored trousers instantly put me off. I thought her to be this smartass small-towner. And she thought I was snooty. :-)

She and I shared a strange sort of telepathic connection. I guess that’s what actually got us to be great friends. Both of us seemed to know what the other was thinking and many a times both would blurt out exactly the same comment or statement simultaneously, much to the surprise of others and us too. We used to get into trouble also together. We got thrown out of our hotel at 11, which is like the most unearthly hour in the sleepy town of Trivandrum. Almost lost our jobs by having the people in the server room of our workplace issue us warnings and memos for security breach for sharing passwords et al, got into trouble trying to get a girl, infected with chickenpox, treated in the heartless medical college hospital of Trivandrum, had the training head fuming and swearing at us for attending a session late (believe it or not, it was like that - being treated as children at workplace. Wonder how we took all the bullshit. Maybe we were kids after all :-) )


We both got posted in Mumbai. And shared the same apartment. She got a two-wheeler and life was all about painting the town red during weekends and working hard on weekdays. Movies, plays, pastas, wine, treks, long drives, cooking, playing host, cleaning, washing, cribbing, bickering, patching up, smoking - to check what is cool (?) about it and realize nothing is, midnight chats where she would keep talking and realize that she must stop the monologue when gentle snore is heard nearby, her beans-ki-sabji, my sambhar, me cribbing about new Hindi music and she cribbing about old…

Too many memories and far too little time and opportunity to relive them. Matheran, movie, long drive and hours of catching up notwithstanding. *Sigh*.

3 Comments:

At 13 July, 2005, Blogger Pink said...

I agree with you totally about the smoking thing.. there's nothing cool about it... I used to think it was cool too but now I KNOW it's not. I was never much of a smoker anyway.. just the social kind but that was enough to realise its pitfalls and give it up altogether.

It's always nice to meet your old friends and yes, the time you spend with them is never enough.. but that's the best part 'coz you make it a point to meet again soon and continue where you left off.

 
At 13 July, 2005, Blogger Chatter Box said...

I am much pleased to see a blog dedicated to mua!:) I guess somethings in life are priceless...Maybe my visit and association deserves a blog from my end too...Will try hard to see if I can do any justice to the memories and adventures in my elucidation cos words always fail me when I most need them! But was fabulous to be back...and i guess will just start off rt from here next time around!!

 
At 14 July, 2005, Blogger RT said...

~lavi: Oh smoking was quite an adventure. Both of us were vaguely guilt consicous about it and reluctantly approached the paanwala for a cig after a quick environment scan to be sure he has no customers around him and no people in general. Just when he was about to hand it to us, one old man came to buy some mint. And both of us immediately turned around looking away while the paan wala was looking at us quizzically with cig extended in our direction. :-)
Anyway, yeah was great to meet old friends, almost seems like being back from a refreshing break.

~pensive: Ah! tit for tat hmm? Blog begets a blog sentiments and all. Anyway, waiting to see the flow of words which pour relentlessly at unearthly hours which you claim fail you otherwise. I dont believe that though..:p
Write soon. Else your matheran story will be out..:p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home