Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Trips and their side effects

Had given myself a break from the blog world as well as the real one. Dandeli trip was great. Did a whole bunch of things like white water rafting, kayaking, trekking, mountain biking yada yada. But like Aesop's fables, it had a moral in the end. FITNESS pays. I was promptly down with a bad back on the last day of the trip while biking. Something snapped. And it felt like a thousand ants taken control of my nerves and muscles, holding them back tightly, teasing and threatening severe shock whenever i tried to bend or sit or change my posture. Physiotherapy was promptly prescribed and is likely to continue for a long time to come. But the place was a haven of 'winged' birds. The best thing was that one could sit in the verandah at daybreak and identify nearly 50 different species of birds right from Hornbills to thrushes and sunbirds. Also learnt a thing or two about photography from the husband and figured I may have a finer way with it. More on that later. :)

Books gave me whole lot of company over my unwell days. (Oh well! I was completely thrown off gear for more than a week after the trip) And two books which stood out were Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and Mistress of Spices by Chitra Bannerji Divakaruni. With no intention of reviewing them, I love the simplicity with which both these authors write. I bought Queen of Dreams by Divakaruni last year but never got around to reading it until recently and I instantly fell in love with her flowery, mystic way of writing. Wonder why I was putting away the book for so long. Was not disappointed by Mistress of Spices either. And I am looking forward for the next trip to Landmark to buy the others too. I believe a motion picture is being made of the book and Aishwarya Rai (!!!) is playing the role of Tilo. I would have imagined a Konkona Sensharma or a Nandita Das befitting the role, but Aishwarya Rai???

Among other things, has it ever happened that you go to withdraw money from an ATM center and your mind drew a blank? It happened to me yesterday, I fed in my ATM card and hands were circling around the display on the ATM machine and I just could not remember my PIN. Fed in 3 wrong passwords and got my ATM card promptly locked. Damn. Now I need to call the bank and get it reset again. And whats more, I remembered the PIN in my sleep at night. Looks like Alzheimers is setting in rather early in life.

Meanwhile some excerpts from my trip. And some not-so-anonymous glimpses too.

This is a spectacular sunset viewed from a sunset trek of about an hour into the jungle. Thats Kali river in the background.

This was our attempt at Kayaking. Was quite tough keeping afloat against the tide of the river. But we managed it for 2 hours without doing a 180 degree flip. :-)



This is a migratory bird from Africa called Black Stork which was identified in southern India for the first time.



A fig tree. Typical habitat for the Hornbills. Unfortunately none on this tree.



And these are just a bunch of flowers from the window of our apartment. Makes for a nice picture post card.

9 Comments:

At 19 April, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He he he its not Alzheimers effect ... Its got to do with month you were born :-)

 
At 19 April, 2006, Blogger verniciousknids said...

Those kayaking pics look great!

 
At 19 April, 2006, Blogger Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

beautiful, now y art u J on my trips, ur trips r awesome enuf!

 
At 19 April, 2006, Blogger Vijayeta said...

Awesome, awesome pics! Er...where exactly is Dandeli and how does one get there? I think i might have found the place to take my next break in...
Alzheimer's setting in early? Quite a possibility! Has it happened to you that when you sometimes call someone, you forget the reason you were calling them for? And then you stutter and sound incredibly awkward and stupid? ...Happens to me at least once a week :(
And yes, Aishwarya Rai is indeed playing Tilo opposite the dishy Dylan McDermott. Movie releases on April 28th.
:)

 
At 20 April, 2006, Blogger RT said...

~sims: You are so predictable sim aunty..:p

~verniciousknids: Thanks. The experience was surreal too.

~swathi: Yeah would like to think so. But not everyone gets to go to Italy and the ilk. :-)

~vijayeta: Dandeli is in north Karnataka, about a couple of hours from South Goa. From Bombay, there are bus services to Dandeli (nearest train station is hubli).
You can look up http://www.kalirafting.com/ and http://www.junglelodges.com/resort_overview.asp?resort=Kali for more details.
And yes, telephone blank-outs happen to me too sometimes. Also many a times, I have made a fool of myself forgetting why I was meeting the said person/boss etc.
But it doesn't happen as often as once a week. Maybe you do need to do the vacation thing soon..:-)

 
At 22 April, 2006, Blogger That Girl said...

i forget all the time!! and now i have a husband who is worse than i am!! he went back to the States on Wednesday and upon entering the bathroom i foudn his entire toiletries right there....lol.. i HOPE he buys a new toothbrush!!

thanks for visiting my blog.. i like yours!! always welcome!

 
At 26 April, 2006, Blogger RT said...

~grafxgurl: I am pretty hopeful he bought one..:-)
Thanks, do visit again.

 
At 10 May, 2006, Blogger Avi said...

Forgetting ATM PINs?/ It happened to me once , but i was wise enough to realise that temporary alzheimer's has set in, and decided to come back when i remember the pin.

Scary thing is, now I have no idea what my ICICI pin is... when I come to desh next, u may have to lend me some dough! ;)

 
At 10 May, 2006, Blogger Avi said...

BTW, I read to patang bhaaga too... nice book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home