Friday, September 29, 2006

Mysterious surprises and their price

Surprises come in small and sometimes large packages. And sometimes, it also involves some acceptance with a pinch of salt.

Like the other day, I got a call from the dispatch department of my workplace that I had received a courier from ICICI. Well! This is not new because ICICI believes in sending every little piece of information like reward points on things I'd never buy/avail, announcements, offers which were useful just one month ago, credit card statements, complaint letters, appreciation letters and so on - all by courier.

I got to the dispatch and saw a huge package kept there. I obviously thought it was for one of the other bunch of people who were waiting for their couriers. The dispatch guy gave me quizzical looks as to why I kept waiting when the damn package was right under my nose. Then, as though reading my mind, he said "Madam, yeh aapka courier hai" (Madam. This is your courier). Now it was my turn to look quizzical.

This surely was not my package! I never got any intimation and neither had I participated in any sort of lucky prize contest in the last 5 years. I turned the package all around and saw that the sender was ICICI alright and the name and address totally matched mine. In spite of this, I was not convinced. I had to do a check to be sure I did not have a namesake in the company and particularly this workplace. And then, being the undecided Libran that I am, I had to call a couple of people and seek their view on whether or not to open the package and finally opened it.

And there it was - a neat navy blue backpack nicely wrapped in a transparent cover. Just the kind I would have liked for 1-2 day trips, full with water-bottle, pen, mobile holders and the works. I checked all the compartments and the inside of the large parcel to see if there was any letter which talked about the mysterious generosity displayed by ICICI. And there was none.

Hesitatingly, I decided to keep it and brought myself to accept that this was my package after all. Where does one come across such packages of goodies after all and that too for free? I went home happy and announced to every person I met or talked to, about my mysterious package. Later, I got to know that this was indeed a gift from ICICI (to me, of course) based on an offer which is applicable because I had spent Rs. 10000+ in that month.

Now I don’t know whether I should be thrilled with the new bag or fret on having blown 10000 bucks on stuff of ethereal nature. Life's truly like that! *sigh*

9 Comments:

At 30 September, 2006, Blogger Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

first of all congrats on ur mysterious gift. secondly i am gonna curse those ICICI folks, my bills on ICICI credit card for the last 6 months has never been less than 30K, wherez my gift? **sob***

 
At 04 October, 2006, Blogger FlyingHigh said...

Ooh how I wud love to get something free like that but spend 10k? Umm...no thanks! :)

Hey have been reading your blog regularly, first time commenting though :).

 
At 08 October, 2006, Blogger sinusoidally said...

Ha ha. Yes why would you not get rewarded for a 10000 spree, what were you buying woman?!

 
At 13 October, 2006, Blogger Artful Badger said...

When a bank, the institution created to hoard and multiply money, gives you a gift, something is wrong :)..heh..
10,000...I guess its not too hard to spend that much nowadays..with 500+ bucks that can be blown on a dinner..

 
At 13 October, 2006, Blogger A-Muse said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 13 October, 2006, Blogger A-Muse said...

Artz,
hey ya... just wanted to let you know that you vhave been tagged... for details check my blog (no ya, not particularly an attempt to advertise my post for the zillionth time.. even I'm not that cruel to insistantly coerce..:))... but this is how this damn-tag thing is supposed to work.
Hope credit card woes aren't b(l)

 
At 22 October, 2006, Blogger twip said...

But you got a new bag! Thats cause enough for celebration, no?

 
At 30 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just chill and enjoy....something is better than nothing :)

Somewhwere i read,Life is a box of choclate, maybe it's true.

 
At 12 December, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you quit blogging?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home