Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Two movies, family bonding and a headache..

Two movies in a day, totally contrasting from the other, two meagre idlis at the food court, a bad tummy and a splitting headache - That pretty much summed up my Saturday.

First was the much underrated KANK*. Now, my dear friend M is a diehard SRK** fan and can spend hours in front of his bandstand residence to catch a glimpse. She even got vague acquaintances whom she met in buses and local trains to tell her when he steps out of those high gates, when he takes his children to school, when he goes to meet KJo*** and so on.. I suppose you get my drift. Its a different story that her 'Mannat' is still unanswered because whenever she tried her luck, he was in the other end of the globe. But that definitely never deterred her from trying and trying again during every Bombay trip. Anyway, I digress.

It so happened that one of the days she came home for coffee. I had not seen her more pensive in life as she was at that moment. I have seen her in such moods only in extreme circumstances like bad health or her parents getting her into a husband-hunting rigmarole or she finding a random reason to pick a fight with me. ;-)
Caring and concerned soul that I was and also sensing that I was likely to end up in a situation here, I decided to take the risk and asked what it was that was bothering her.

After some prodding:
M: I know the reviews of KANK aint good at all. I also know the rest would not want to see it. But I still want to watch it. Will you watch it with me?
RT: (faintly relieved that all's well with the world) Of course! We will watch it one of these days.

Let me also add here that even though not on the same scale and intensity, I like SRK too and it wasn't very difficult to get me convinced here. And so elaborate plans were made a week after to catch up with the Saturday morning 10:30 show for which the lady gave up her Saturday morning beauty sleep to stand in the current booking queue. At 10:15, she smses that I shouldn't leave just yet because she might not get the tickets after all. And here I was wrapping up all my saturday housewifely chores like running after the maid to clean up at double her usual speed, skip mopping and so forth. Far cry from the glamor added by Rani Mukherji to the tasks I was doing about which I will discuss later. Anyway, after what seemed like 5 minutes, I got another sms to leave immediately because she managed to get tickets. I quickly ran out and made it to the hall (about 7-8 kms away) in a matter of 15 minutes (underground parking time etc included). Here, I was extremely and totally pleased with myself for making a near-perfect time on Bangalore roads. And instead of applauding at my near-impossible achievement, M was full of fumes at me for making her miss 5 precious minutes of the movie. Thankless world this is, I tell ya!

Anyway, the movie was glossy and fixated at the Brooklyn bridge as it always is in all KJo movies. The characters were unreal and unconvincing. The basic underlying theme of the movie, that I chose to see, was that the punishment for an extra-marital affair is a three year separation. Not a bad deal, is it? :-)

SRK, at the risk of inviting the wrath of M, was so cantankerous and irritating that I wonder how Preity Zinta wanted to sleep with him, have his kid and in fact continue living with him. Which is why, I think, when he broke out the adultery word, she jumped at the oppurtunity to get rid of him. The housewife-at-heart Rani Mukherji led most part of her married life vacuum-cleaning her up-market apartment in cleavage-showing, halter-necked, cocktail dresses. And after meeting SRK, her wardrobe metamorphosed into bikini tops for sari blouses with just one hook holding it all together. For most part of the movie, I was hoping it doesn't snap suddenly considering how taut it looked. And I couldn't understand what one saw in the other to fall in love. Even that was in its hilarity when they both became friends basically to figure out a way to save their marriages and how!. By giving a massage and wearing rather intimidating lingerie to please their spouses. I would have found the transposed spouses to make a more steamy couple, who not only looked better and danced better, but were also fun and balanced. Arjun Rampal was wasted and unnecessary. Amitabh Bachchan was painful and his chandigarh jokes, dude-ing with his son and frolicking with random white skinned women one-fourths his age were downright pathetic. The only bright aspect to the movie was the John Abraham cameo in the Where's-the-party-tonight song. :-)

But I must say that I watched the movie to completion without dozing off even once in the 3.5 hour marathon. I have no qualms with extra-marital affairs shown in Indian movies as such. But I fail to understand why there is always a need for an action-reaction phenomena for falling in love outside of marriage. SRK blew his career in football because of an accident and hence remained irritable all his life and consequently all the negativity led him to look for love outside of marriage. In Silsila, Amitabh and Rekha were lovers before they married other people and therefore, their post marriage affair was justified. In Astitva, Tabu's husband lived most part of his life after marriage away from wife to expand his business and so she slept with Mohnish Behl. Arth is probably the only movie that I have seen where it is so realistically shown that affairs need not be triggered by external formidable/favorable events. Affairs just happen.

The other movie I saw was a tamil movie - a 'Kamal-movie' at that. The parents, the brother, his fiancé, the fiancé’s parents were all keen on watching a new Tamil movie called Vetaiyadu Vilayadu (Don’t ask me what that means!). And so the husband and I were sucked into the whole family thing. On reaching the movie hall, one noticed that it was not just the immediate family but the extended kinfolk and some more friends were also part of the deal. It was nice in a way to see one whole row in the hall occupied by people we knew. The movie was primarily a cop-catching-an-unknown-killer story and, for the most part, was rather fast-paced and devoid of unnecessary song sequences etc. But what could have ended by intermission went on for another 1.5 hours. The background score was extremely shrill and irritating and kept me awake even though I wanted to sleep to get rid of a nagging headache which crept in through the day.

Been one helluva day and realized that two movies in a day - one full of gloss and another full of gore can be quite taxing for the mind and physique. And if you end up in such a situation, then make sure you carry an Aspirin and have enough maggie stocked up at home. :-)

* KANK - Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna
** SRK - Shah Rukh Khan
*** KJo - Karan Johar

14 Comments:

At 08 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waiting to be in Blore so that I too can drag you for the movies I dont get company for ;-)

 
At 08 September, 2006, Blogger That Girl said...

its been aaaaages since i saw a hindi movie.. sigh i so want to watch one right now!

 
At 09 September, 2006, Blogger Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

rofl :)

i'm glad u gave credit where it was 'delightfully' due -'John Abraham' - he was the only one worth watching (but then i might as well watch a shampoo ad instead of this movie..)

 
At 11 September, 2006, Blogger RT said...

~sims: Well! You first get here. That looks like eons away as of now. :)

~grafxgurl: Yeah! Can be quite a stressbuster sometimes. Such super glossy movies. :)

~swathi: You bet! Shampoo Ads come everyday. But this cameo, I was not expecting. And hence the highlight. :)

 
At 12 September, 2006, Blogger Artful Badger said...

Interesting...
Thats why I like the Multiplexes..
I don't worry about walking into a crappy movie because, if I don't like it I just walk out and go to a hall that has a movie I am more likely to like!
( Of course, the honest person that I am, I don't watch more than one complete movie :) )...
I have realized that its important to do some due diligence before watching a Tamil or Hindi movie simply because the torture is likely to last for 3+ hours!..

 
At 12 September, 2006, Blogger Chatter Box said...

Bah! Some ppl just dont appreciate talent and all those e-mails which float around reminding you to thank friends today types should find its way into your inbox. But for mortals who love SRK and KJ type good clothes, nice sets, nice aunty uncle type characters, you would not have gotten a blog you see! Anyways sense or otherwise ...I am glad I watched the movie....

 
At 13 September, 2006, Blogger Junius said...

cop-catching-an-unknown-killer story ! LOL :-)

 
At 14 September, 2006, Blogger RT said...

~artful badger: Yeah! I agree. Diligence and an extra ounce of stamina!

~pensive: ?? That went right over my head!. :p
And of course I am sure you loved the movie.

~endeavorme: Heh! Couldn't have explained better. :)

 
At 15 September, 2006, Blogger sinusoidally said...

So are you saying I shouldn't see this movie?? :-)

 
At 17 September, 2006, Blogger RT said...

~sinusoidally: Most definitely not! One must watch it and many such insightful movies. :-)

 
At 20 September, 2006, Blogger Chatter Box said...

GO study for GRE and reading comprehension at that..:-p i just wrote like English and used plain text and no punctuation maybe , coupla typos cant make that big a deal can it?;-)

 
At 22 September, 2006, Blogger A-Muse said...

Artz,
I have a one word comment...

"Amen"
:-)

PS: yes, M's fixation on SRK and the likes.. has led her to many "Lilliput"-ian adventures as well (all puns intended) :)

 
At 22 September, 2006, Blogger RT said...

~pensive: Of course it can! If someone used a passage by you for reading comprehension, then he/she can forget cracking any other passage ever after that. :p

~hip_prudester: Oh yeah! I think since knowing her, I have been subject to every movie acted by the "fixation". Worst was K3G, when she stayed bugged all evening because i dozed off most part of the second half. :)

 
At 23 September, 2006, Blogger Somu said...

Lol, couldnt stop laughing.
Meeeeeeeets, so cuuuuute :) "Will you watch it with me?" awwwwwww.
But I should say, one crappy movie it was!!!
But yeah I was laughing to my heart's content reading the blog :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home